[Lcdproc] MtxOrb adjustable backlight and display detection

  • From: ehrnam45 at gmail.com (Samuel Rogers)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] MtxOrb adjustable backlight and display detection
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:38:13 -0400

Ok, after some digging around in the driver source code, I found that there
is a provision for using the correct brightness levels, but the mauals
differ on what the settings do, as well as have some rather glaring errors.
Here's what I found:

Unit Version Notes
VK162-12 2.20/2.30 OK
VK162-12 3.0 1
VK202-25 1.40/1.50 OK
VK202-25 2.0/2.20 OK
VK202-25 3.0 2
VK204-25 1.23 1
VK202-24-USB 1.6 OK
VK204-24-USB 1.0 OK
VK202-25-USB 1.0 2
VK204-25-USB 1.0 2

1) The brightness table is backwards, i.e. 0x00=100%, 0x03=25%
2) The manual has 0x00=0% and 0x01 is listed as BOTH 25% and 50%.
Impossible?

Not all of the manuals list "Y" as the command for brightness, but they do
agree on the decimal value 89 (0x59) which shouldn't present a problem. I
tried changing the 'Y' to "\x59" on line 756 to match what was listed below
for the standard LCDs but didn't see any change to the brightness once I
restarted LCDd. Changing the brightness level in my LCDd.conf file doesn't
do anything for the startup brightness either. Could it be that the
declaration on line 759 as 'long' is generating a decimal point value and
therefore not sending data the display is expecting? Unless the remainder
is chopped off, there isn't any setting that will give you exactly 1 or 2.
Since there is already a branch checking for IS_VKD_DISPLAY, couldn't we
just skip the promille conversion and add a comment about VKD devices having
valid settings of 0-3 in the .conf file?