[Lcdproc] MtxOrb adjustable backlight and display detection

  • From: ehrnam45 at gmail.com (Samuel Rogers)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] MtxOrb adjustable backlight and display detection
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:03:25 -0400

On a related note, I also have a MO VFD (VK202-24-USB) and I would like a
bit more intuitive brightness control for these modules. The VK series only
have 4 brightness settings--5 if you include off--sent as 0x00 (25%) to 0x03
(100%). I looked over the source for the driver and didn't see anything
that checked for this type of display in the brightness settings nor
anything that would convert the promille value to these brighness values.
As a result, changing the default brigtness in LCDd.conf has no effect on
the brightness of the display. I also don't see anything in the client
language reference about changing the brightness of a display (unless it's
supposed to be controlled by the backlight setting) and I'd really like to
be able to control that from a client since LCDd doesn't let you pass the
commands directly to the module. Speaking of which, would it be possible to
make an 'expert' command that allows a client to speak directly to the
module, or is it better to build that functionality into the driver and
access that with screens/widgets? Would it be helpful for me to tinker with
it on my end and see what I can get working?

Sam