[Lcdproc] newbie question

  • From: joehenley at kc.rr.com (Joe Henley)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] newbie question
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:02:16 -0600

Hi Markus,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Markus Dolze wrote:
> Joe Henley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a newbie here, so please forgive any un-intended "politically
>> incorrect" items. Also, I'm not a C programmer, so I'm pretty much
>> dependent upon what I can find at sites like this.
>>
>> Is lcdproc still under development? The last version is from 2007. I
>> see lots and lots of patches; and I see comments about folks not
>> getting things to run when patches overlap. I see alot of notes about
>> getting patches incorporated, but it seems none do. I've looked
>> repeatedly at the sourceforge site for updates to the code, but
>> patches I see here don't seem to show up there.
> Yes, there is ongoing development. Unlike other projects we use this
> mailing list to submit patches for review. Someone with write access
> commits the patches once they have received feedback.

Ah, OK. As I confessed earlier, I'm a newbie .... does "commit" mean to
incorporate it into the nightly updates?

> The changelog since 0.5.2 has grown large. Usually you receive the
> latest code directly from CVS or by using a 'nightly current build' from
> http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/.

Is that OK now? I saw a message in the archives that the nightlies
weren't always current. Since I don't yet know enough about this to be
able to tell when it is, or when it isn't current, I just decided to
avoid them. Probably the wrong thing to do, huh? ....

> Currently our most important maintainer is away, so changes pile up, but
> I commited a few fixes recently.
>>
>> I bought a picolcd to use with MythTV and have given up on getting
>> support from mini-box. I hoped to get some here, so I've lurked abit
>> to see what's happening. But I must be missing something, because I
>> see alot of folks submitting patches, raising questions and suggesting
>> fixes, but nothing seems to be done to the code.
>>
>> What am I missing? Is there some other place to look (other than here
>> and the sourceforge site)?
> As LCDproc is open source anyone can take it and ship modified versions.
> Some Linux distributions may contain additional patches.

Yes, that's part of the problem I'm having with mini-box. They have a
version on their site which they reference as 0.5.2, but which is NOT
the same as what you have here. It's abit confusing, and very
frustrating, for someone just getting started (like me).

>> Thanks for any help/suggestions/guidance/etc.
>>
>> Joe Henley
>>
>> PS: Yes, I know I have not indicated my picolcd problems. But they
>> are all previously listed here by others, and are still open as far
>> as I can tell.
>>
> If you do need help, as on this list. There are people familiar with
> these devices here.

Thanks for the offer. I looked back thru the last 4 or 5 months of
posts in the archives and picked out the problems/patches others had
identified which also looked like ones I'm having. These include:
10/1/08 pavel "add support"
11/2/08 marschall "picolcd build problems"
11/6/08 ekholm "LCDproc & PicoLCD"
1/13/09 dicks "19 to 20 character"
2/2/09 de Bruet "off by one"
2/25/09 de Bruet various

Again, it's a newbie picking these out, so I might be wrong on some.

So if these were fixed (I assume that means "committed") then I should
be able to move forward on getting my picolcd 4x20 to work.

> Regards,
> Markus

Oh, while I may be a newbie, I can probably help by doing any testing
you'd like. I'd be happy to do that. As indicated before, I have a
picolcd 4x20 from mini-box. Right now it's connected to a miniMyth
front end running version 0.21.0-53 (kernel is 2.6.25).

Thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Joe Henley