[Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working withhd44780-lcd2usb driver

  • From: malte at maltepoeggel.de (Malte Pöggel)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working withhd44780-lcd2usb driver
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:15:13 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Dicks" <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
To: <lcdproc at lists.omnipotent.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working
withhd44780-lcd2usb driver

> Very interesting. I remember these guys from their DIP series. I
> never got one since they were in Germany (exchange rate, overseas
> shipping costs, etc.), but they looked really good.
[..]
> So the next question would be where to pick up a 3-line DOG display in
> the States.

I think there should also be a distributor for you, take a look at the
contact page:
http://www.lcd-module.com/contact.html

> If I understand what you are doing (I can't exactly tell from the
> pictures you posted), you are using an ATMEGA-8 with Till Harbaum's
> code on that single-sided PCB, right? I wouldn't mind a pre-fabbed
> board, but if you are making them at home, I can certainly whip
> something up myself (I do a lot with pre-perfed 0.1" protoboard and
> 30ga wire). I've got all the gear to burn AVRs, etc.

I changed the mega8 to a mega48 because i wanted to run everything at 3.3
Volts, and the firmware was changed, too.
The init is a little bit different to the hd44780, and the EA-DOG has a
digital contrast setting.
You could take a look at my schematics:
http://www.maltepoeggel.de/data/sp-lcd/schematic.pdf
I'll upload the atmel sourcecode and a more detailed description within this
week.

> I did a little digging around and couldn't find info on the LED
> backlights. I am, of course, curious about the RGB backlight since
> it's clearly easy to pick which backlight you want to use. Malte, do
> you have any specific docs on the backlight modules?
http://www.lcd-module.com/eng/pdf/doma/dog-me.pdf (Page 6 and Page 8)
If you aren't shure which backlight would look nice you could also use the
DOGM simulator found at the product page.
I don't have more information, but it looks like there are four leds into
the backlight panel. I could also send you high resolution pictures.

Malte