[Lcdproc] newbie question

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] newbie question
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:37:14 +0100

Joe Henley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie here, so please forgive any un-intended "politically
> incorrect" items. Also, I'm not a C programmer, so I'm pretty much
> dependent upon what I can find at sites like this.
>
> Is lcdproc still under development? The last version is from 2007. I
> see lots and lots of patches; and I see comments about folks not
> getting things to run when patches overlap. I see alot of notes about
> getting patches incorporated, but it seems none do. I've looked
> repeatedly at the sourceforge site for updates to the code, but
> patches I see here don't seem to show up there.
Yes, there is ongoing development. Unlike other projects we use this
mailing list to submit patches for review. Someone with write access
commits the patches once they have received feedback.

The changelog since 0.5.2 has grown large. Usually you receive the
latest code directly from CVS or by using a 'nightly current build' from
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/.

Currently our most important maintainer is away, so changes pile up, but
I commited a few fixes recently.

> I bought a picolcd to use with MythTV and have given up on getting
> support from mini-box. I hoped to get some here, so I've lurked abit
> to see what's happening. But I must be missing something, because I
> see alot of folks submitting patches, raising questions and suggesting
> fixes, but nothing seems to be done to the code.
>
> What am I missing? Is there some other place to look (other than here
> and the sourceforge site)?
As LCDproc is open source anyone can take it and ship modified versions.
Some Linux distributions may contain additional patches.

> Thanks for any help/suggestions/guidance/etc.
>
> Joe Henley
>
> PS: Yes, I know I have not indicated my picolcd problems. But they
> are all previously listed here by others, and are still open as far
> as I can tell.

If you do need help, as on this list. There are people familiar with
these devices here.

Regards,
Markus