[Lcdproc] LCDproc Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12

  • From: sascha.zielinski at gmx.de (Sascha)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDproc Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 03:34:20 +0100

> Markus Dolze wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After analyzing Sascha's problem with 40x4 winamp-wired display I had
> > a closer look how the backlight is used.
> >
> > I found that:
> >
> > 1. In render.c the backlight state is determined.
> > 2. drivers.c passed the BL state to all drivers, if supported
> > 3. The hd44780 passed the BL to the connection type, if supported
> > 4. The conntection type sets the hardware accordingly.
> >
> > Besides a possible problem in 3. because the hardware is asked to set
> > the backlight off if the user specified no backlight being available
> > in the config file, the whole chain is executed with every screen
> > rendering.
> >
> > Looking at how other drivers handle this I found some implement an
> > "incremental" backlight change (only update hardware if the the state
> > has really changed) while others do not.
> >
> > I decided to implement this "incremental update" for the hd44780
> > driver as well. Patch attached.
> >
> > As this applies to all connection types, I ask developers and users
> > with hd44780 type displays and backlight to test the impact of this
> > change. I already tested with lcd2usb and winamp (but without
> > switchable backlight) and found no problems so far.
> >
> > Please also test what happens if "Backlight=off" is set in LCDd.conf.
> >
> > Regards
> > Markus
>
> Commited this patch to CVS.
>
> Regards
> Markus

I checked out a fresh CVS and everything compiled fine. I set the backlight
setting on and off in the config file and the programm behaved like it should.
I will do some more tests, if lcdproc starts with the load plugin.

Is it possible to switch off the backlight with a commandline option or over
script wich connects to telnet? Would be great if I could turn the backlight
off between some time (00:00 - 6:00 am).

I don't know if its the right place. Someone knows whether the perl lcdproc
extension is still in active development? It seems that IO::lcdproc is
missing
some features like scoller, frame, backlight, ....

Regards Sascha

  • [Lcdproc] LCDproc Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12, Sascha, 02/25/2009