[Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working with hd44780-lcd2usb driver

  • From: malte at maltepoeggel.de (Malte Pöggel)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working with hd44780-lcd2usb driver
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:11:07 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Dolze" <bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de>
To: ""Malte P?ggel"" <malte at maltepoeggel.de>; <lcdproc at
lists.omnipotent.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Lcdproc] Changes to get EA-DOGM163 + four keys working
withhd44780-lcd2usb driver

Hi,

> I had a quick look at the controller's datasheet today. I have already
> seen those DOG modules in german stores. The controller is interesting
> because of his 3-line mode.
> In 1-line mode DDRAM is addressed linear (like in lcdproc's ext_mode). In
> 2-line mode the address of the second line starting at 0x40 (like in
> lcdproc's hd44780 standard mode).

we tried different EA-DOG displays here, two and three line. The two line
display seems to work perfectly without setting the ext_mode. The three line
lcd needs the modified ext_mode.
Some of the prototypes: http://www.maltepoeggel.de/cache/sp-lcd2.jpg

Is there any way to get a hexadecimal value from the config? Currently the
"config_get_int" function is used and i added a "LineAddress=16" to the
config.

> Did you had a look at the character table? I have not checked if it
> matches an existing one, but as it supports umlauts as well as japanese
> characters.

To check out that, i have added a screen / widget with umlauts using telnet
at fedora linux. I dont know why but the string on the display seems to be
encoded, as there are two characters shown on each umlaut i entered.
(??????)
Here's a pic: http://www.maltepoeggel.de/cache/umlaut.jpg

For compatibility i modified the key routine in the lcd2usb firmware so that
it returns a scancode to the usb buffer as Joris and Marcus voted for.

I'll publish the atmel sourcecode, layout files, schematics on my webpage
this week.

Malte