[Lcdproc] lcdproc on OSX presents random block characters (all on)

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc on OSX presents random block characters (all on)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:50:19 -0600

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Markus Dolze <bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de>
wrote:
> Depending on your firmware version it may not support the adjustable
> backlight like my LCD2025. You may try the attached patch to see if your
> display is affected (this patch actually disables the adjustable backlight
> and restores previous behaviour).
>
> @Ethan: As you already mentioned this feature is not detectable by software
> and that you have an idea how to solve this. Did you made any advance?

Hmm... I'm trying to think of what I was thinking of when these
discussions came around last time...

I do have a recollection about an idea to streamline LCDd.conf setup
(essentially fragmenting the current distributed LCDd.conf into a
driver-specific section, then an entry in the Makefile to compile (in
the sense of heap together) a header and footer with the
config-specified driver sections, so that at least, there's only the
needed parts in LCDd.conf.

I don't remember off the top of my head any mods to MtxOrb.c relating
to config options relating to the presence or absence of adjustable
backlight commands. Markus, could you perhaps give me some context
and help me remember the feature you are thinking of?

There is a MtxOrb.c patch I'm still trying to find where it went...
the one that implemented NUMGPOs. It wasn't mine, but I seem to
remember testing it about a year ago and it worked fine with my VKD204
(6 GPOs). Now that I have a nine GPO MtxOrb display, I'd really like
to see the NUMGPOs patch rolled out and I'd rather not have to whip it
up from scratch since it's already been written and tested. I don't
have the same development environment I did a year ago, so I don't
have that patched version to refer to, unfortunately.

I'm thinking that MtxOrb.c is in need of a bit of collective work.
Perhaps those of us who have Matrix Orbital displays could mention on
the list what we have so we can see what firmware and feature sets are
capable of being tested? I'm happy to make proposals and code up
changes, but I only have two textual Matrix Orbital displays to check
for results. With a list of who has what, testing might go more
smoothly.

-ethan