[Lcdproc] does lcdproc support pic16c54c?

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] does lcdproc support pic16c54c?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:50:05 -0600

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 3:58 AM, B. N. <electrofreak66 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a board I pulled out of a Imerge SoundServer M1000. The LCD has a
> label that says its a "Densitron V"
> and google yeilds no results related to the one I have.

I recognize the brand name 'Densitron', but not the model.

> There is a board that it is attached to it that has a PIC16C54C chip, I
> know lcdproc is supposed to
> support PIC16CC54 (without the C).

Where do you get that? LCDproc supports various displays which may or
may not contain PIC microcontrollers which may or may not be a
PIC16C54. It's all about whatever program is running on that
PICC16C54.

> The board that has the PIC16C54C connects to power and to the serial port.
> After running
>LCDd, nothing happens. After running lcdproc, a few seconds later the
>backlight turns on
> but that is it. There are no characters or anything being displayed.

OK. There are a couple of possibilities - one is that you are sending
commands to the display that the display doesn't understand. Another
one (that I've run into myself) is that the base LCD module is an
"extended temp" module and needs a negative bias voltage - if this is
a complete unit and you are powering it as it was in its original
location, this is less likely, but if you just gave the display +5V
and it happens to need -5V too, this could be it. Another possibility
is that the contrast setting is off and the LCD isn't showing its
characters visibly. I have no idea if your board has a potentiometer
or software-controlled contrast, so you'll need to figure that out.

> Any way to get lcdproc working with this? I am using the lcdserializer
> driver. Also, the board
> that has the LCD mounted to it also has 14 buttons on it too, if that makes
> a difference.

It may make a difference in identifying what device you have.

> Am I using the wrong driver?

It's likely.

>From what you've said about your module, I'm having to make guesses
about what you have. If you could take a few *in focus* pictures and
put them up somewhere where we could have a look (don't attach them to
a message for the list), that might help. If there's any way to find
more info about the SoundServer M1000, that might help, too. There
are tools that could be used to sniff the serial traffic between your
LCD display and the SoundServer M1000, but unless happen to have, say,
an HP 4951A serial line analyzer on hand, you'd probably have to build
one from a two-serial-port PC running a sniffer app. It's not a task
for novices, but I wanted to mention such things exist if it's really
important to figure out how a particular module works.

There are things you can do short of hooking in a serial analyzer.
You can try to send strings to the display *without* LCDproc. I work
with Linux and UNIX, so I use 'echo' for simple stuff, or write shell
or Perl scripts for more interesting stuff, just sending to the serial
port with the display on it. You didn't describe your environment,
but if it's Windows, perhaps someone else can make a suggestion. Most
serializers have a simple device-level protocol - printable ASCII
characters are just printed at the present location, and "control
characters" (below 0x20) are used for various control and positioning
functions. Since you aren't getting any characters, it might be a bit
tricky, but if you have a potentiometer, you could send some chars,
then twiddle the knob (mark the start position first) to see if the
chars suddenly appear. If you have a software-controllable contrast
control, you'll need to know the module's command set first, so you
are back to looking for docs or the software for the SoundServer M1000
itself (if it's Open Source).

-ethan