LCDproc development and user support list

Text archives Help


[Lcdproc] Zalman HD135 and CVS Current LCDproc mplay connection


Chronological Thread 
  • From: multiroom at sympatico.ca (David Scott)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Zalman HD135 and CVS Current LCDproc mplay connection
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:07:17 -0500


Hello All,

Well I wanted to make a comment regarding, I installed the CVS current
version with drivers=44780 which I assume is using the lis2.c model for my
Zalman HD-135's case mplay VFD, I then proceeded to edit my LCDd.conf to
include

driver path = /usr/local/lib/lcdproc/
driver hd44780
connection type = mplay
device = ttyUSB0
bit rate = 38400 (also tried zero)
size = 20x2

start LCDd and it would load up and work fine for about 40-60 minutes then
I receive garbled text etc or it would restart lcdproc and just load up the
server screen and stay there. I am running xbmc as the front end to
mythbuntu 8.10 backend. I then proceeded to swap this around and added a
launcher for XBMC to the mythtv frontend and autostarted mythtv this way now
the display would only give me a single dash on the top row to the very left
of the screen - no clock, no date, no myth menu information. I could also
not use livetv or watch any recorded shows as my remote would stop
responding and the screen would become completely garble to the point that
it was not readable AT ALL. As soon as I went back to the lcdproc src
directory and issued sudo make uninstall and rebooted all was fine again.

I then proceeded to remove that version of lcdproc and try the 0.5.2
version as well as the stable nightly all using the lis2 connections type
with all the same results as above. I then hunted for some answers and I
found the patch for the driver created in 2007 that was never included in
the stable or unstable versions of LCDd or the CVS versions. I proceeded to
get the patch, dwnld 0.5.2 configured again with driver=44780 patched
with -p0 < mplay-final.patch. reconfigured my LCDd.conf file with the fan
controller portion now and rebooted the system and VOILA all is now PERFECT,
with mythtv and xbmc. The display works properly and the clock, date,
mythmenu, recorded show details etc are all working, and I can watch live
and recorded tv perfectly.

If I read the posts all correctly the mplay connection type is based off
the lis2.c file WELL the lis2 device uses a different baud rate and I think
this is the root of all evil with this issue and it is now coming to light
as more guys are starting to use this case with XBMC for instance and
starting to note the same problem at least the garbled text. I have been
running the patched version of 0.5.2 now with the proper driver for two days
and it is working perfectly always awake and always displaying the proper
info as it should and the fans are working 100% all the time and the y/n fan
switch in the LCDd.conf file works as well if no fans are used. I really
think this patch should be installed permanently in the src for anyone using
the HD135 case with the mplay connection.


Regards,

Dave
Ottawa, Canada






Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of page