[Lcdproc] New driver for LCDproc (Acer Idea 500/501 built in VFD display)

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] New driver for LCDproc (Acer Idea 500/501 built in VFD display)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:58:21 +0100

Erik H?ggstr?m wrote:
> Right, here it is. The kernel driver is not included yet, needs some
> tidying.
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Markus Dolze <bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de
> <mailto:bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de>> wrote:
>
> Erik H?ggstr?m wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have written a kernel module and a driver module for LCDproc
> to control the Acer VFD display.
> What is the procedure for getting this into LCDproc and does the
> kernel module go in a different package?
>
> The kernel module works standalone with 'echo > "Something"
> /dev/lcd0'
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik
>
> Hello Erik,
>
> you found the right place. Please send a diff against the current
> CVS version to this mailing list.
>
> It will have to be discussed what to do with the kernel driver. But
> please submit it as well.
>
> Regards
> Markus

Hello Erik,

thank you for your contribution. I had a look at the driver. But before
going into the details I would like to learn more about the display.

Does it support something else than displaying plain text? Does it use a
'standard' controller that supports custom characters? How is it
connected to the system (I/O, serial, USB)? Does that interface require
exact hardware timings? Does it have keys?

And what are your plans / ideas?

In the current state the driver does not differ much from the "text"
driver except it outputs to your kernel driver pipe instead to stdout.

Therefore I vote to not add a separate driver but perhaps modify the
"text" driver, although I am not to decide about this.

Regards
Markus