[Lcdproc] More LCD weirdness

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] More LCD weirdness
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:20:09 +0100

Ernie Cline wrote:
> So last week I was having trouble getting my Pico LCD 4x20 to work
> with FreeBSD and LCDProc. This works now thanks to some patches.
> However, now when I've recompiled a new kernel and put it on my alix
> hardware, it finds the device, but I still can't seem to get LCDProc
> to see my hardware. I played around with various options without much
> luck. I did a truss, and this is what I'm getting:
>
> open("/dev/ugen0",O_RDWR,05006536142) = 5 (0x5)
> nanosleep({0.000100000}) = 0 (0x0)
> ioctl(5,USB_SET_ALTINTERFACE,0xbfbfeb50) = 0 (0x0)
> open("/dev/ugen0.1",O_RDWR,05006536004) = 6 (0x6)
> ioctl(6,USB_SET_TIMEOUT,0xbfbfeb80) = 0 (0x0)
>

> And that's it. Just hangs and never returns, even Ctrl-C doesn't seem
> to do anything.
>
> This is FreeBSD 7.0 and the cvs version of lcdproc, which does seem to
> work with this hardware in VMWare. So is this and lcdproc thing or a
> freebsd thing? I've googled around for USB_SET_TIMEOUT without much
> luck.

I am a little bit confused: The picolcd *does* work if it is attached to
a VMware running FreeBSD + LCDd, but it *does not* work if you run the
same software on real hardware?

The USB_SET_TIMEOUT ioctl is part of libusb's usb_interrupt_write()
which is used to communicate with the device. If this is failing it is
either a problem with libusb, FreeBSD, some hardware, or is the wrong
way to talk to the device.

Regards,
Markus