[Lcdproc] set brightness onthefly

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] set brightness onthefly
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:05:38 +0100

Andrea Rizzolo wrote:
> hi, is there any way to change brightness onthefly? Id like to play
> with brightness level eg during night (I dont want to shutdown my
> mediacenter, but I need to sleep ;) )

Hello,

you can change the brightness on-the-fly, but there are some restrictions:

First of all you need a display with controlable backlight. This is true
for most lcdproc drivers.

Then you need some way to interact with the lcdproc server to change the
backlight setting. Currently there are two ways to do this:

1. Using keys: If your display has keys attached and configured you can
access the server's menu. There you can switch the backlight on / off
and change the on/off brightness if the drivers supports this.

2. Using a client: A software client can change the backlight setting by
sending a command. However, clients can only turn the backlight on or
off (or make it flashing) but cannot control on/off brightness.
Furthermore the setting is only valid for that particular client, I think.

You wrote in another mail that you have a Crystalfontz display without
keys. In this case the second method is way to go.

Regards
Markus