[Lcdproc] Starter program

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Starter program
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:35:37 +0100

Peter Schmidt wrote:
> Now I understand how many people may find using the LCDd.conf is easy
> to use, but if you plan to port this program to Windows (and the fact
> that it does work on Mac) there should be some sort of setup. I'm NOT
> saying make the entire program a GUI, I'm saying I would like it if
> there was some sort of starter app that helps set you up.
I don't know if we plan to support Windows in the near future again. I
do know that it once did work on Windows, and there is still some
Windows specific code in it. But I doubt that someone has tried to get
it run on Win32 recently, did anybody?

Additionally some advanced programs for Windows interfacing to different
displays already exist and I think LCDproc's strength are Linux / Unix
type OS. It will be a lot of work to come up to the level of Windows
support those programs already offer.

> This is just my idea of how the program would work. It would save
> people a lot of time and stress (stress for those who don't know
> exactly what they are doing or what they have). Keep in mind that
> although your program is well made, it isn't user friendly for
> beginners like myself and I do not see it practical for Windows and
> especially Mac use for the simple fact that there is nothing that
> prepares you.
I think that we have to cope with two type of users: Those who select,
buy and integrate a LCD module on their own (system builders, companies,
geeks) and those who get a case with a device built-in and want to use
it with something else than Windows.

The former group does know which module they built in and given the
difficulties Ethan described in his mail those will perhaps not need a
setup program. But for the latter group such a setup might be helpful.