[Lcdproc] Starter program

  • From: zicronsoft at yahoo.com (Peter Schmidt)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Starter program
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:39 -0800 (PST)

Now I understand how many people may find using the LCDd.conf is easy to use,
but if you plan to port this program to Windows (and the fact that it does
work on Mac) there should be some sort of setup. I'm NOT saying make the
entire program a GUI, I'm saying I would like it if there was some sort of
starter app that helps set you up.

For example, this program would be able to search for all possible LCDs/VFDs
in /dev/ and would test the bit rates and drivers. There aren't that many
bit rates or drivers, so I would assume it could take maybe a full minute to
test all of them (probably less if it finds the correct driver at the
beginning of its process) and would be fairly minimal to code. Obviously the
program only does this once. After this the program should ask the user
about really basic configuration settings you would only make once such as
refresh rate. Then at the end it should create 3 default screens/pages so
the user gets an idea of what can be edited, and will make a comment
specifying that the screens or pages can be edited. Before it quits, it will
ask where the configuration file should be stored and then create a launcher
code to be copied.

This is just my idea of how the program would work. It would save people a
lot of time and stress (stress for those who don't know exactly what they are
doing or what they have). Keep in mind that although your program is well
made, it isn't user friendly for beginners like myself and I do not see it
practical for Windows and especially Mac use for the simple fact that there
is nothing that prepares you.

Thank you for your time,
Peter