[Lcdproc] lcdident.pl - a simple Perl client to identify your LCDd screens by port number

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdident.pl - a simple Perl client to identify your LCDd screens by port number
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 01:06:23 +1300

Hi, all,

I've managed to get my working environment restored on the road (I'm
in NZ at the moment), and wanted to share a simple but clean client I
wrote this year that helps me keep my environment straight. For most
people, this will be little more than a starting point for new Perl
clients, but for some developers, it's nice to be able to tell which
display will respond to what port accesses (this past year, I've had
as many as 4 instances of LCDd running on the same machine for
development/debugging purposes - one or two of several 20x4s, a 20x2,
one of two 40x4s and a 24x8, all with different drivers - MtxOrb,
picoLCD, HD44780, and jw002, for the curious).

The client is quite simple - it opens up the requested port, gets the
geometry, then writes the port number and the reported geometry either
as one line (2-line displays) or on two lines (more than 2 lines),
then waits for a few seconds and exits.

I'm sharing this in the hopes that it will be instructional, and grant
permission to include it in the clients directory of LCDd if it's
interesting enough to warrant that.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or limitations too painful to
live with or live without.

If this does turn out to be interesting, I have a small suite of
simple clients that I've found to be handy for driver testing and
debugging that I'll be happy to share.

-ethan