[Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf

  • From: peter at adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:23:15 +0100

Hi,

On Saturday, 29. November 2008, aeriksson2 at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation. While I appreciate that various devices have
> lots of constaints making font loading seem like a far off vision, what is
> the charset used in the client->LCDd protocol? From an application writer's
> point of view it would be better to have a fixed (or settable) charset and
> let the drivers emulate stuff not rederable on the device, than resort to
> device specific programming go get the right glyphs out to the screen.
>
> Is it us-ascii today? What would it take to make it utf-8?

This is hard to answer.
If you restrict yourself to US-ASCII you are on the safe side.

As Ethan already explained, most of the text-mode displays
support different 8-bit character sets, that cannot be changed.

For some displays there is a mapping layer in the LCDproc driver
that tries to map Latin1 to the display's character set.
Unfortunately this is not always completely possible.

What does it take to support UTF8 ?
I fear rewriting large parts of the server core, and problably all of the
drivers.

If you have UTF8 data that does only contain characters in the Latin1 range,
you may try to do the conversion in a client before sending it to LCDd.

Regards
peter

--
Peter Marschall