[Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf

  • From: aeriksson2 at fastmail.fm (aeriksson2 at fastmail.fm)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:32:50 +0100

ethan.dicks at gmail.com said:
> The overall problem with that is that LCDproc is firmly rooted in its roots
> as an HD44780-based abstraction tool, and those sorts of displays tend to
> have a small number (1-8) of user-definable characters, with the rest of the
> characters and glyphs in onboard ROM.

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the explanation. While I appreciate that various devices have lots
of constaints making font loading seem like a far off vision, what is the
charset used in the client->LCDd protocol? From an application writer's point
of view it would be better to have a fixed (or settable) charset and let the
drivers emulate stuff not rederable on the device, than resort to device
specific programming go get the right glyphs out to the screen.

Is it us-ascii today? What would it take to make it utf-8?

/Anders