[Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:28:06 +1300

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Markus Dolze <bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de>
wrote:
> Dave Liquorice wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:44:17 +0100, hansfong at zonnet.nl wrote:
>>

>>> Now my question is: how do you know what characters are in the ROM and
>>> how to address them?
>>>

>> Normal place to look would be the displays data sheet from the
>> manufacturer. Failing that, write a client that just sends each character
>> code to the display...
>
> Such a thing is already part of LCDd. If LCDd is compiled with option
> LCDPROC_TESTMENUS (use "./configure --enable-testmenus") a menu item called
> "charset" appears in the menu, which displays all characters in the range
> from 0xA0 - 0xFF. This shows which characters the display supports.

Interesting. I will have to look at that. Certainly the range of
chars from 0xA0 to 0xFF will be more than enough to tell Japanese from
European, but I've seen at least two European and two Japanese
character sets. In particular, Futaba VFDs (as are in my Matrix
Orbital LK204) have interesting glyphs between 0x10 and 0x20, which
this technique would not show off.

-ethan