[Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf

  • From: kokolist at gmail.com (Διαλεκτή Βαλσάμου)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Non-Latin characters in LCDd.conf
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:47:45 +0200

Hello,

I am trying to make my lcdproc work with some greek characters on an imon
lcd . For anyone unfamiliar with it, this LCD is not working with text, but
drawing on a grid of 6x8 per character. For more information please see
http://codeka.com/blogs/index.php/2007/09/26/imon_lcd_patch_v0_3?blog=5
Quote from the patch:

+/*
+ * The iMON LCD doesn't have a "text mode" -- everthing is pixel-based. So
we need to define
+ * our own font, basically. This structure holds the definition of that
font. The characters
+ * we define here are 6x8 pixels in size, each byte in the 'pixels' array
represents one column
+ * of pixels. The most significant bit is the top row, the least
significant bit is the bottom
+ * row.
+ */

Trying to produce my own greek fonts this way i took the simple example of
capital O
+ { 'O', { 0x0, 0x7C, 0x82, 0x82, 0x82, 0x7C } },
and produced
+ { '?', { 0x0, 0x7C, 0x92, 0x92, 0x92, 0x7C } },

Various tests have shown me that what I have done there, works. But there
seems to be a big but: I can not include any greek letters in my LCDd.conf.
I have cross checked this by changing the code in pre-compile time to:

+ { 'O', { 0x0, 0x7C, 0x92, 0x92, 0x92, 0x7C } },
+ { '?', { 0x0, 0x7C, 0x92, 0x92, 0x92, 0x7C } },

so that both these characters are drawn like the letter ?.

and added a simple goodbye message in my LCDd.conf (my simple failsafe way
of testing this) that contained OOOO and ????. This resulted in only the
OOOO being printed (as ???? of course).
I was thinking that maybe the deamon expects its conf file to be in plain
english, so i wrote a small perl script that did quite the same (just in
case I was missing something)

All these tests of course only confirmed what most of you already know (and
my google searches had told me -but I was still hoping) : there is no way to
send non-latin characters to LCDproc and get them out alive, right?

Is there anything I am missing?

I am not a code expert but if someone feels like giving me a hint, maybe I
could take it one step further.

My problem is - just in case I didn't make myself clear (it happens when I
overthink)- that even though I have the ability to draw the desired
characters, they get lost in translation :) How do I efficiently feed
LCDproc/myscreen with my non-static greek text ( I mean, it's not a static
menu that I can once and for all transcode) withouth using a "wrapper" for
any app that will be sending greek chars.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, though I should mention the note on the patch mentioned above:

The 'ch' member is an int so theoretically, you could
+ * specify UTF-32 code points as the ch. But then you'd have to
translate the UTF-8
+ * (or whatever) input to imonlcd_string to UTF-32, which doesn't
sound like much fun...

This "theoretically" part doesn't sound very promising,does it

Thank you very much in advance,

Dialecti