[Lcdproc] My LCD client project

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] My LCD client project
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:15:51 +1300

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Peter Marschall <peter at adpm.de> wrote:
> On Monday, 17. November 2008, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM, <joris at robijn.net> wrote:
>> > There is standard called METAR you you might want to follow. There is a
>> > lcdproc metar client avaialable somewhere, that you could use to read
>> > your own wheather station's data...
>>
>> I've worked on Geo::METAR. The latest version should handle non-US
>> temps/distances/etc., but the years-old version handles US sites
>> pretty well.
>
> LCDproc already contains a client called lcdmetar.pl
> that uses Geo::METAR.

Yes there is, and it's a good start. Because I spend lots of time
outside of the US, I've extended the current client, and worked with
two maintainers (present and original author) on the newest version of
the underlying Geo::METAR library. On my personal to-do list is to
check my client changes against the current version of Geo::METAR on
CPAN before doing a little internal documentation clean-up, then I can
publish my updates to lcdmetar.pl. I've been keeping an eye out for
the next version of LCDproc as a "deadline".

Back to the original poster, if you stick to US measurements (no
visibility in meters, for example), the older version of Geo::METAR
and the present version of lcdmetar.pl in the LCDproc clients
directory can give you an idea if Metar format will encompass what you
want to do - as I've said, it's not an ideal format for storing raw
weather data, but for sharing it with pilots or Met personnel, it's a
compact verbal format for summarizing your current observations.
Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find that it's easiest
to collect your raw data into "comma-separated value" (CSV) files that
can be easily read by Perl or most spreadsheet apps, then write a
simple CSV->Metar script in your favorite language (Perl, Python,
Ruby...) to kick out one Metar per line of raw data. This generated
Metar can be fed to lcdmeter.pl if your end-goal is to display your
weather observations on LCDproc.

Metars are fairly complex - real stations define all sorts of terms
(blowing snow, drifting snow, haze, dust storm, virga...) that an
amateur station is unlikely to use. The good news is that Geo::METAR
knows well over 90% of the tokens in common usage, and all the tokens
you are likely to generate.

-ethan