[Lcdproc] picoLCD 4x20 only 19 chars

  • From: andy at siliconlandmark.com (Andre Guibert de Bruet)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] picoLCD 4x20 only 19 chars
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:06:48 -0500

On Nov 22, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM, <hansfong at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I can only get 19 character displayed on my mini-box picoLCD 4x20.
>> The last
>> character on the first line shows three vertical lines (|||), on
>> the other
>> lines the last character is blank. This is already the case when I
>> start the
>> deamon, so it seems not a client problem. I'm using lcdproc which I
>> downloaded from the mini-box website, which is version 0.5.2. Any
>> ideas?
>
> I can't check specifically since I'm traveling and don't have my
> picoLCD with me, but I did fix and submit a bug with the driver for
> the 2x20 months ago that very specifically fixed writing to the full
> width. I checked the CVS repository and I can't seem to find it.
>
> In picoLCD_string(), I moved the line "x--; y--;" further up in the
> routine, between the boundary checking and the string-length check,
> IIRC.
>
> If you compile with debugging on and start the server with debugging
> turned up, you will probably see "%s: string overlength (>%d). Start:
> %d Length: %d (%s)" errors when trying to display 20-char-long
> strings.
>
> I have a client I use for testing - it's really simple - open one
> string widget for each line on the display, then fill each character
> position with "X" and wait 30 seconds before quitting. It helps me
> find bugs like this, or with writing to the lower-right character
> position (especially when writing new drivers and having to get
> line-scrolling parameters correct).
>
> I should tidy that client up and submit it - it's really not complex,
> but it is very, very handy when debugging boundary conditions.
>
> In any case, check your source for how picoLCD_string() goes - it's
> probable that my last-char fix isn't in the codebase you are working
> from.

I can confirm the problem WRT the last character on each line. In
fact, I was getting ready to report the issue myself.

Ethan - As far as your possible fix, I have not had the chance to give
it a spin. I will report back when I do.

Hans - Does setting Heartbeat=off make those three vertical lines turn
into a solid rectangle?

Cheers,

/* Andre Guibert de Bruet * 436f 6465 2070 6f65 742e 2042 6974 206a */
/* Managing Partner * 6f63 6b65 792e 2053 7973 4164 6d69 6e2e */
/* GSM: +1 734 846 8758 * 2055 4e49 5820 736c 6575 7468 2e00 0000 */
/* WWW: siliconlandmark.com * C/C++, Java, Perl, PHP, SQL, XHTML, XML */