[Lcdproc] iMon LCD device support

  • From: avionicsdv at aim.com (David W Studeman)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] iMon LCD device support
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 02:59:33 -0800

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 02:55 -0800, David W Studeman wrote:
>> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I'm new to the list, only just last week got an LCD device to play with.
>>> What I got was the Antec Veris Multimedia Station Premiere[1], which is
>>> a rebadged SoundGraph iMon UltraBay (with a different usb device ID).
> [...]
>> I thought your name was familiar, I use MythDora myself and in 2007
>> offered up an imon patched lirc driver set to Dennis in the MD4 days.
>> Most of what you see in these articles is related to getting Lirc
>> patched and running the remote. The Lcd or VFD portion of it should have
>> nothing at all to do with kernel drivers or lirc for that matter.
>
> The lirc driver sets up the /dev/lcdX device. Can also be done via a
> stand-alone display-only driver, as I understand it.

Ok, now I remember that. Basically most who use one of these solutions
will use both the remote and lcd/vfd functions of it anyway. Makes sense
now.

>> In
>> fact, while mixing on and off topic here anyway, I hated the imon remote
>> so much I changed to a new rf remote and just left lcdproc to drive the
>> display which is likely hd44780 compatible anyway like 99% of the
>> character displays out there and set up lirc for the new remote. Once
>> you get the mousepad working, you'll scream obscenities at it sometimes
>> because it's overly sensitive but you do need four axis control on a
>> remote to enjoy MythTV without using the keyboard. If I knew then what I
>> know now about displays and remotes, I would have not bought an
>> expensive Imon setup to only have a 16x2 display and a remote I
>> abandoned anyway. A 20x4 VFD or LCD will fit in the same window.
>
> I only bought the thing to help get it and others like it working w/lirc
> and lcdproc w/o any patching, its only in a test box. :)
>
> But yes, the remote is far from optimal, I have several I like better.
>
> --jarod

Great idea. I can see no reason why the changes should not be upstream
if it benefits nearly everyone who uses the source anyway. Even at that,
having to add the tools necessary for compiling on one's daily MythTV
box just to be able to patch and recompile is not really ideal either.

Btw, I haven't read your book yet but of course when I was new to
Myth, much of my self help googling turned up your book and where to buy
as well as your website which is very detailed, especially in the
remotes.

--
Dave Studeman
http://www.raqcop.com