[Lcdproc] iMon LCD device support

  • From: jarod at wilsonet.com (Jarod Wilson)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] iMon LCD device support
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:50:01 -0500

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 02:55 -0800, David W Studeman wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm new to the list, only just last week got an LCD device to play with.
> > What I got was the Antec Veris Multimedia Station Premiere[1], which is
> > a rebadged SoundGraph iMon UltraBay (with a different usb device ID).
[...]
> I thought your name was familiar, I use MythDora myself and in 2007
> offered up an imon patched lirc driver set to Dennis in the MD4 days.
> Most of what you see in these articles is related to getting Lirc
> patched and running the remote. The Lcd or VFD portion of it should have
> nothing at all to do with kernel drivers or lirc for that matter.

The lirc driver sets up the /dev/lcdX device. Can also be done via a
stand-alone display-only driver, as I understand it.

> In
> fact, while mixing on and off topic here anyway, I hated the imon remote
> so much I changed to a new rf remote and just left lcdproc to drive the
> display which is likely hd44780 compatible anyway like 99% of the
> character displays out there and set up lirc for the new remote. Once
> you get the mousepad working, you'll scream obscenities at it sometimes
> because it's overly sensitive but you do need four axis control on a
> remote to enjoy MythTV without using the keyboard. If I knew then what I
> know now about displays and remotes, I would have not bought an
> expensive Imon setup to only have a 16x2 display and a remote I
> abandoned anyway. A 20x4 VFD or LCD will fit in the same window.

I only bought the thing to help get it and others like it working w/lirc
and lcdproc w/o any patching, its only in a test box. :)

But yes, the remote is far from optimal, I have several I like better.

--jarod