[Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:00:56 +1300

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:21 PM, <hansfong at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Citeren Andrew Grover <andy.grover at gmail.com>:
>
>> Look at the LCDd manpage. The client protocol is human-readable, so
>> you can use whatever language you want to telnet to localhost port
>> 13666 and send commands.
>
> Isn't that a bit archaic? I haven't been using telnet for ages and I thought
> the use of telnet was depreciated.

It is deprecated for interactive use since it sends unencrypted
passwords over the wire. In this case, passwords aren't the issue -
it's just being used as a conduit to pass command strings to a server.
Presumably 'netcat' could do the job, too, but telnet is still on
most machines.

>> telnet localhost 13666
>> hello
>> screen_add myscreen
>> widget_add myscreen mywidget string
>> widget_set myscreen 1 1 {hello world!}
>
> Success! This works, except the last line needs to read like this....
>>
>> widget_set myscreen mywidget 1 1 {hello world!}

Yep.

> This looks to me like building a GUI. I think I did some of this ages ago
> (like 8 years) with Perl/Tk, but I gave up then.

In one sense, it's like some GUI schemes - create screens, create
widgets, set widgets...

Personally, I use Perl for my LCDproc scripts, but I think as an
example, an expect script is easier to follow.

-ethan