[Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!

  • From: hansfong at zonnet.nl (hansfong at zonnet.nl)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:21:34 +0100

Citeren Andrew Grover <andy.grover at gmail.com>:

> Look at the LCDd manpage. The client protocol is human-readable, so
> you can use whatever language you want to telnet to localhost port
> 13666 and send commands.

Isn't that a bit archaic? I haven't been using telnet for ages and I
thought the use of telnet was depreciated.

> telnet localhost 13666
> hello
> screen_add myscreen
> widget_add myscreen mywidget string
> widget_set myscreen 1 1 {hello world!}

Success! This works, except the last line needs to read like this....
> widget_set myscreen mywidget 1 1 {hello world!}

This looks to me like building a GUI. I think I did some of this ages
ago (like 8 years) with Perl/Tk, but I gave up then.

Thank you,

Hans