[Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!

  • From: andy.grover at gmail.com (Andrew Grover)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:27:53 -0800

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:01 PM, <hansfong at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> I got a picoLCD 4x20, which works fine with LCDproc and the example perl
> scripts which came with it. My aim is to understand the workings of this
> type of hardware, but I'm no programmer by any means apart from some
> bash/php experience.
>
> I looked at the perl scripts, but they are a bit hard to comprehend and
> alter to my own needs. So my questions:
> - Is there a beginners guide for writing clients for LCDproc? - Or maybe a
> template on which I can build my own client or study the workings of the
> code? - Can a client be written as a simple shell script, or php script
> called from the command line?

Look at the LCDd manpage. The client protocol is human-readable, so
you can use whatever language you want to telnet to localhost port
13666 and send commands.

You might also want to check out the source of some other languages'
wrapper libraries, if you don't like Perl:
Ruby: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdproc-ruby/
Ruby: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ruby-lcd/

These both include clients written to demonstrate the use of the library.

I'm also working on a Python lib, see here:
http://github.com/agrover/pylcd/tree/master
(it's not really ready for primetime, but take a look if you want.)

> Right now my preferred next step is to just get some own text displayed on
> the screen, e.g. open a text file and send the contents to the display and
> then move on to more complex things. Any help is very much appreciated.

telnet localhost 13666
hello
screen_add myscreen
widget_add myscreen mywidget string