[Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!

  • From: hansfong at zonnet.nl (hansfong at zonnet.nl)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Clients for dummies!
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:01:17 +0100

Hello,

I got a picoLCD 4x20, which works fine with LCDproc and the example
perl scripts which came with it. My aim is to understand the workings
of this type of hardware, but I'm no programmer by any means apart from
some bash/php experience.

I looked at the perl scripts, but they are a bit hard to comprehend and
alter to my own needs. So my questions:
- Is there a beginners guide for writing clients for LCDproc? - Or
maybe a template on which I can build my own client or study the
workings of the code? - Can a client be written as a simple shell
script, or php script called from the command line?

Right now my preferred next step is to just get some own text displayed
on the screen, e.g. open a text file and send the contents to the
display and then move on to more complex things. Any help is very much
appreciated. Cheers,

Hans