[Lcdproc] No configure warning if no pkg-config

  • From: epooch at cox.net (epooch at cox.net)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] No configure warning if no pkg-config
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:48:34 -0700

I experienced a problem this weekend while trying to compile libusb dependent
drivers in lcdproc. Previously, I did not have any problems compiling these
drivers.
The problem is that if pkg-config is not installed, the configuration
proceeds with no warnings or errors, even if libusb is explicitly enabled.
There is no indication of a problem or what it is until the complier gives
warnings about certain drivers needing libusb. However, because I was only
compiling the HD44780 USB drivers, there wasn't even a compiler warning! My
USB HD44780 driver just would not get compiled.
There is no documentation about requiring pkg-config for libusb in either
INSTALL or CHANGES
I may make a patch, but I wanted to make sure this was mentioned on the list
in case anybody else has the same problem.
The solution is simple- just install pkg-config and set the relevant
environment variable to its path.
This was a problem in Mac OS X 10.4.8 where pkg-config is not installed by
the development tools.
Thanks --Eric

  • [Lcdproc] No configure warning if no pkg-config, epooch at cox.net, 09/29/2008