[Lcdproc] PATCH: Enable picolcd to pass IR codes to LIRC via UDP

  • From: peter at adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] PATCH: Enable picolcd to pass IR codes to LIRC via UDP
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:18:29 +0200

Hi Jack,

On Sunday, 7. September 2008, Jack Cleaver wrote:
> I have coded a patch (attached) that enables picolcd to send IR codes to
> LIRC.
>
> PicoLCD IR packets don't include a sync pulse, and they don't include a
> gap trailer; these have to be synthesized, and that requires divination
> (guessing) of where a code begins and ends, and I presume my guesswork
> is fallible.
>
> The synthesized gap seems to be interfering with detection of repeat
> codes, at least with some of my remotes; and that in turn seems to be
> interfering with the correct operation of irrecord. So I'm not sure that
> this patch is ready for prime-time, but I don't know how to go forward.
> I'd welcome comments, if anyone cares to inspect my code (Nicu? Woody?).
>
> Anyway, this is the only way I know to get picolcd remote codes into
> LIRC. And given a lircd.conf that matches your remote, it seems to be
> reliable (so far).

I really appreciate your patch, and I'd happily include it into LCDproc.

But I'd rather have two changes before I commit it to the CVS:

* Documentation
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-dev.html#documentation
states what LCDproc expects in the case of new drivers.
Please extend your patch to at least update the files
picold.docbook and LCDd.conf with the new options.

It would be great if you also give the docbook page a short overhaul
to correct omissions and errors that are evident to a picolcd owner.

- option to switch it off
While your patch is surely a big improvement for users that
use LCDproc togethr with lirc, I'd like to have this extension optional.
Can you change your patch so that in the absence of one or both
"Lirc..." options it does not try to connect to lirc and does
not send the keys to lirc ?

And while I am nit-picking: the static variables you defined should go into
the PrivateData structure.

Please don't let you discourage by my remarks.
The aptch is a good addition to LCDproc. It only needs a bit polishing.

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Marschall