[Lcdproc] OSX + MtxOrb Driver

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] OSX + MtxOrb Driver
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:19:24 +1200

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> From looking at your LCDd.conf and your debug output and MtxOrb.c,
> it appears to me that the next bit of driver code that executes after your
> last line of text is the open(). If the open() returns -1, the driver
> will report the error. If the open returns anything else, it
> logs "... opened display on <device>".
>
> Since neither one is showing up, my guess is that open isn't returning
> at all, thus the hang.
>
> Why that should happen, I'm not sure, unless there's some chance
> it's related to permissions or ownership.

One thought - if I spotted it correctly, in your LCDd.conf, LCDd is
running as the user 'nobody', not you. Perhaps 'nobody' can't
open the device, but you can, thus "screen" works, but LCDd
doesn't?

I looked at my 'nobody' entry on my Mac laptop...

nobody:*:-2:-2:Unprivileged User:/:/usr/bin/false

Does yours look like that?

-ethan