[Lcdproc] solaris

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] solaris
  • Date: Tue Jun 24 05:31:02 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Larson, Timothy E.
<TELarson AT west.com>
wrote:
>> What hardware (if any) will you be using for LCDd under Solaris?
>
> I've recently acquired a system with a front LCD panel, which I haven't
> even gotten up and running yet, so I can't give you much info on it.

OK. When you do get it running, mention on the list what you have.
My interest with LCDproc is in hooking various kinds of displays to
various types of interfaces, so I'm always interested to hear what
people have come up with (and I know a bit about a few types, so
might be able to help if it's one I have some experience with).

> Looking around for something useful to do with it led me to lcdproc.
> I'd _like_ to install clients on my other systems and have them display
> statistics, in some kind of round-robin fashion, on that box. I don't
> even know if that's possible yet though.

That's exactly what LCDproc is good for - you get the server (LCDd)
running on the box with the display, twiddle the config file (LCDd.conf)
to use an outside address (not 127.0.0.1), then give that IP address
(and perhaps port, if you changed the default) to the client programs
on your other systems, and LCDd takes care of the round-robining.
It's even easy to write clients in Perl (I have several for timezone
display, local weather, detector rates for work, etc.)

I used to run Solaris a lot, and even tried to port an ancient LCDproc
client set to Solaris 2.51 (c. 1998, when it wasn't so ancient), but these
days, I do mostly Linux. I can totally see, though, how the standard
LCDproc client would be broken on Solaris.

-ethan