Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Noritake Itron VFD display on FT245R (ftdi)

  • From: thomas.jarosch AT intra2net.com (Thomas Jarosch)
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Noritake Itron VFD display on FT245R (ftdi)
  • Date: Mon Jun 23 07:49:02 2008

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Date: Sunday, 22. June 2008
From: "Han Hartgers"
<han.hartgers AT gmail.com>
To: "Thomas Jarosch"
<thomas.jarosch AT intra2net.com>

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Thomas Jarosch
wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> On Friday, 20. June 2008 16:01:58 Han Hartgers wrote:
>> 3. The first bytes send by the ftdi driver are getting lost during the
>> configuration of the ft245R chip.
>>
>> The coming days I will dive a bit more in the software to find a nice
>> solution, not that I am that of a programmer..... But I was wondering
>> if someone has some similar experience with the ftdi chip driver. (It
>> is only part of the LCDd for a couple of weeks so it would surprise me
>> if there are many people using this chip yet.
>
> I've seen problems in the past on some boxes that the first byte written by
> libftdi get's lost somewhere between libusb <-> kernel <-> FTDI chip.
> I was not able to find the source of this, yet. Luckily there is already
> a workaround for this in the driver, see hd44780-ftdi.c.
>
> Have a nice weekend,
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the tip. I saw the comment about the lost byte in the source code.
For the 4 bit interface is the 4 bit mode command send 3 times. Is
that the work around?

The strange thing is that my LCD modules are working fine, no problem
with the initialisation after computer start-up or disconnecting from
the USB bus.

I assume that is something more timing depended for my Noritake VFD.

Greetings,

Han