[Lcdproc] cwlinux usb 12832

  • From: wyatt AT prairieturtle.ca (Daryl F)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] cwlinux usb 12832
  • Date: Fri Feb 15 00:56:01 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, list-catcher wrote:

>> list-catcher wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> This is probably a really noob question but I don't see it anywhere
>>> obvious in the docs. I've got a cwlinux usb 12832. In LCDd.conf
>>> model=12832 doesn't work but bumps back to 12232. Also I can't figure
>>> out what to set DEVICE to. I have no /dev/lcd.
>>> lsusb gives me
>>>
>>> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
>>> Port
>>>
>>> Ok, it's a USB->Serial converter. So...what serial port?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>> Try "dmesg | grep tty", it's probably /dev/ttyUSB0 .
>
> I'm using udev.
>
> sfullenwider@aristotle /dev $ dmesg | grep tty
> console [tty0] enabled
> serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> sfullenwider@aristotle /dev $ ls /dev/usb
> ls: cannot access /dev/usb: No such file or directory
>
> So, I assume that it's ttyS0. There are two of those:
> sfullenwider@aristotle /dev $ find -name *ttyS0*
> ./ttyS0
> ./.udev/names/ttyS0
>
> running lcdproc C in one ssh session while running LCDd -f another
> provides lots of sock_send: socket write error
>
> Must not be /dev/ttyS0.
>
> /dev/.udev/names/ttyS0 is a directory with just this in it.
>
> aristotle ~ # ls -Al /dev/.udev/names/ttyS0
> total 0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 13 23:50 \x2fclass\x2ftty\x2fttyS0
>
> I don't know what that is, but attempting it didn't work either.
>
> General info:
>
> aristotle ~ # uname -a
> Linux aristotle 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 #2 Wed Jan 30 02:56:15 EST 2008 x86_64
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> aristotle ~ # lcdproc -v
> LCDproc 0.5.2
> aristotle ~ # LCDd -help
> LCDd - LCDproc Server Daemon, 0.5.2
>
> Configs:
> ## Server section with all kinds of settings for the LCDd server ##
> [server]
>
> # Tells the server to load the given drivers. Multiple lines can be given.
> # The name of the driver is case sensitive and determines the section
> # where to look for further configuration options of the specific driver
> # as well as the name of the dynamic driver module to load at runtime.
> # The latter one can be changed by giving af File= directive in the
> # driver specific section.
> #
> # The following drivers are supported:
> # bayrad, CFontz, CFontz633, CFontzPacket, curses, CwLnx, ea65,
> # EyeboxOne, g15, glcdlib, glk, hd44780, icp_a106, imon, IOWarrior,
> # irman, joy, lb216, lcdm001, lcterm, lirc, MD8800, ms6931, mtc_s16209x,
> # MtxOrb, NoritakeVFD, picolcd, pyramid, sed1330, sed1520, serialPOS,
> # serialVFD, sli, stv5730, svga, t6963, text, tyan, ula200, xosd
> Driver=CwLnx
>
> # Tells the driver to bind to the given interface
> Bind=127.0.0.1

> [...]

I see in the Linux Kernel 2.6.23 there is an option to set for the
Prolific 2303 converter. It creates kernel module pl2303.

Can you `modprobe pl2303' or check your kernel configuration to see if the
support is built in to your kernel. Check kernel Device Drivers->USB
Support->USB
Serial Convertor Support->USB
Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver (NEW)

It's been my experience with udev and USB serial convertors that the
/dev/ttyUSB* device doesn't appear until the kernel module is loaded.

-Daryl