[Lcdproc] cwlinux usb 12832

  • From: dplatt AT radagast.org (Dave Platt)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] cwlinux usb 12832
  • Date: Thu Feb 14 20:13:02 2008

> sfullenwider@aristotle /dev $ dmesg | grep tty
> console [tty0] enabled
> serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> sfullenwider@aristotle /dev $ ls /dev/usb
> ls: cannot access /dev/usb: No such file or directory
>
> So, I assume that it's ttyS0.

Nope. That's a real, physical UART somewhere in your system...
might be a standard serial port, or an internal modem, or an IRDA
port.

You should be seeing a different device name somewhere under
the /dev/ hierarchy, for the USB-connected adapter. Try

find /dev -name tty\*

and see if something shows up.

If not, then I'd suspect that you may not have the proper
USB device driver(s) loaded. You'll need both the basic
usb-serial driver, and the ftdi driver. It's possible that
you're running with a kernel that doesn't incorporate these
drivers, either built-in or as dynamically-loadable modules.
If that's the case, the device will show up in "lsusb" but
it won't be accessible or usable - there will be no entry
for it in /dev.