[Lcdproc] Do hd44780 lis2 VFDs work with LCDProc?

  • From: ironstorm AT gmail.com (Garth Dahlstrom)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Do hd44780 lis2 VFDs work with LCDProc?
  • Date: Tue Dec 25 09:15:02 2007

Merry Christmas/Seasons Greetings,

I just got an nMedia case as part of my new PC. I'm at the exact
same spot Johnny Earnest was at when he posted to the LCDProc mailing
list back in Sept '06:
http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/2006-September/011145.html

I purged "br1tty" as someone indicated it was necessary to remove it
to resolve a conflict over /dev/ttyUSB0 for Ubuntu.
(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/5503)

LCDd now seems to binds to /dev/ttyUSB0, but "LIS MCE" remains written
in the VFD (http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/lcd-50.jpg)
instead of the LCDProc server screen that one would expect to see
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/images/7/70/LCDproc.jpg) if everything
were working properly...

I'm wondering if there is a solution out there to get this device
going. (Attached below is reporting level 4 output with lcdproc
briefly connecting `lcdproc -f -p 13666 N`... )

-G

--
__
--- == __/ t.O ==--

My System is a Intel Quad Core running Kubuntu Gusty Gibbon 7.10 /
AMD64 / LCDProc 0.5.2 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/utils/lcdproc)

root@quadcore:~# LCDd -r 4 -f
LCDd version 0.5.2 starting
Built on Dec 25 2007, protocol version 0.3, API version 0.5
Using Configuration File: /etc/LCDd.conf
Set report level to 4, output to stderr
LCDd 0.5.2, LCDproc Protocol 0.3
Part of the LCDproc suite
Copyright (C) 1998-2007 William Ferrell, Scott Scriven
and many other contributors

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

Server running in foreground
Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
hd44780: Using hd44780_default charmap
HD44780: LCD Serializer: Using device: /dev/ttyUSB0
Key "Escape" is now reserved in exclusive mode by client [-1]
Key "Enter" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
Key "Up" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
Key "Down" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [_server_screen]
Connect from host 127.0.0.1:45255 on socket 5
Client on socket 5 added added screen "C"
Client on socket 5 added added screen "I"
Client on socket 5 added added screen "M"
Client on socket 5 added added screen "L"
Client on socket 5 added added screen "T"
Client on socket 5 added added screen "N"
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [N]
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [C]
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [I]
Client on socket 5 disconnected
sock_send: socket write error
sock_send: socket write error
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [M]
sock_send: socket write error
sock_send: socket write error
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [L]
sock_send: socket write error
sock_send: socket write error
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [T]
sock_send: socket write error
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [_server_screen]

  • [Lcdproc] Do hd44780 lis2 VFDs work with LCDProc?, Garth Dahlstrom, 12/25/2007