[Lcdproc] [RFE] hd44780 euro charmap

  • From: bsdfan AT nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] [RFE] hd44780 euro charmap
  • Date: Mon Dec 24 13:24:02 2007

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:46:24 +0100
> Von: Peter Marschall
> <peter AT adpm.de>
> An:
> lcdproc AT lists.omnipotent.net
> Betreff: Re: [Lcdproc] [RFE] hd44780 euro charmap

> Hi,
>
> On Sunday, 23. December 2007, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:24:45 +0100
> >
> > "Markus Dolze"
> > <bsdfan AT nurfuerspam.de>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > this is what the 'Charmap' setting in LCDd.conf is for. Three charmaps
> > > are already supplied (see server/drivers/hd44780_charmap). If you have
> > > one that is not already supported and have the spec for your display,
> you
> > > could implement one yourself easily.
> >
> > Right. I already did that here to verify the table. But since it
> involves
> > running a modified LCDd, it isn't really that convenient. Hence this
> poke
> > to get it upstream.
>
> So, may I ask for a patch ?
> (to minimize duplicate work)
>
> Regards
> PEter

To update the hd44780 driver I see two possibilities:

1. Introduce a new "1-to-1" mapping table, as the controller understands ISO
8859-1 (except a few characters).

2. Modify the driver to not map characters, if no mapping table has been
chosen by the user.

Option 1 would be the least intrusive, but we should consider the table
naming. If an 1-to-1 table is added this should be the default, but this may
confuse existing users (although I guess only a few - if any - are using the
extended part of the character set).

Regards
Markus