[Lcdproc] LCDproc, FreeBSD, and amd64

  • From: bsdfan AT nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDproc, FreeBSD, and amd64
  • Date: Tue Jun 12 04:11:01 2007

Hello,

as the maintainer of the lcdproc port I am happy to hear about people
using it.

As AMD64 is currently not supported (it also means I cannot test it)
your contribution is welcome.

The reason why it has a restriction on i386 is that most drivers require
low level access to some hardware port (parallel for example) which was
only possible on i386 at the time the port was created years ago. I
don't if this is possible on AMD64 today, too.

machine_get_battstat() shouldn't be a problem as long as it compiles and
you don't want to run it on a laptop to display your battery status.

Regarding the driver you may want to try the WITH_USB=yes flag for
building / installing the port and see if you can get any one of the
libusb dependent drivers to work. If your kernel does not show any
message if you connect your display it is either not a one with an
internal USB->serial converter chip or your kernel does not have a
driver your this included / loaded or this driver does not work on AMD64.

If you take your time and develop some patches to lcdproc, I would very
much appreciate that these are sent to the mailing list instead to the
FreeBSD ports team. Patches to the port (its Makefile) may be sent to me
directly.

Regards
Markus