[Lcdproc] outdoor signs ?

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] outdoor signs ?
  • Date: Mon Jun 11 23:12:03 2007

On 6/11/07, Dave Liquorice
<allsorts AT howhill.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:43:03 +0200, Bram wrote:
>
> > are there led-screens with good outdoor readability that work with
> > lcdproc, we're looking for sizes like 2 x 0.5 meters and bigger.

I've been fiddling about with bits of indoor versions, but I have no
recommendations for ones that large.

> Well many UK football ground have full colour LED advertising hordings
> around them at pitch level. These come in roughly 0.5 x 5m sections.

I have a section of indoor panel - 16 x 64 bicolor LEDs w/5mm LEDs
molded into 8x8 blocks and set on a largish PCB with off-panel-left
and off-panel-right interconnects.

If I could figure out how it worked, I'd consider driving it with
LCDproc, but it was sold as surplus and had the manufacture's logo and
identifying marks ground off. It's still useful as a source of
bicolor LEDs, but I'm not so sure it's going to work as a sign
segment.

> I suspect they also come with their own dedicated control computer.

Ones I've seen have a graphic controller, but it's no fancier than the
ones on the back of an LCD module. There's usually a bunch of chips
to drive dozens of mA to many LEDs at once for multiplexed strobing,
but that's external to whatever chip has a command set and enough I/O
pins to pass bits to the LED matrix. Some of the large TV-like
screens might have a more elaborate graphic controller, but most just
use an external windows PC to load animations and what-not. Once
programmed, they typically run stand-alone and just blink the LEDs as
previously requested.

> LCDProc is
> also really character based, these advertising things are graphics panels.

Yes, but LCDproc supports graphical panels - I've hooked up a
t6963-based graphic module with a parallel-port cable and glcdlib.
It's more work for the LCDd host than a character-based module, but it
works.

-ethan