[Lcdproc] Improvements to imon driver: special characters and smoother hbar

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Improvements to imon driver: special characters and smoother hbar
  • Date: Tue Jun 5 21:51:02 2007

On 5 Jun 2007 at 16:29, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> being able to, at the driver level, have the code "know" what custom
> glyphs are already in the device to avoid the overhead of custom

Indeed, the driver should know this and place these chars. There's no
limitation to do this now.

> This brings to mind another feature I'd like to find a way to
> implement, which is glyphs that are larger than one char cell...

I'm in favor of this, also for "normal" icons. I consider client-defined
graphs just a special case of icons. The client defines an icon and gives
it a name and then this new icon is available to be placed everywhere,
like a normal icon.
But in the past my idea of multi-char icons was kind of "vetoed" :( Maybe
it has a chance of a second life now :)

It is somewhat difficult to define exactly how to handle them. For graph
LCD's there is no problem, they can do an infinite amount of custom
chars. But what to do with normal LCD's... Currently only the cellsize is
told to the client, we could add the number of programmable custom
chars... I am afraid the client will simply need to assume a multi-char
icon will take multiple custom-char. I think we should not make the
interface more complex than this. More complexity = more problems.

Joris
--
Joris Robijn
<joris AT robijn.net>