[Lcdproc] Improvements to imon driver: special characters and smoother hbar

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Improvements to imon driver: special characters and smoother hbar
  • Date: Mon Jun 4 12:49:02 2007

On 6/3/07, Joris Robijn
<joris AT robijn.net>
wrote:
> 2. Reserve custom char: If a special char, a v/hbar or an icon is needed,
> it can be reserved with this function. If there is the no more place in
> the custom char space, the fall-back char is returned. This function is
> called by the above function and the _icon, _hbar etc functions.

One thing to consider doing with this part of the proposed lib is to
allow the drivers for certain displays to "register" hbar chars that
are already part of the module's ROM character set (common with
various flavors of VFD). It wouldn't come into play for most folks,
but with the right display, the driver wouldn't have to worry about
treating hbars like a table of custom chars - the necessary images are
already there as chars somewhere between 0x01 and 0x20.

Given that I fiddle with temp displays a lot, and there are several
techniques I know of to render a degree character, I'd like to make a
plea to not forget to include degree symbols in this scheme (but I
suspect most people are thinking about play/fastforward/rewind types
of symbols).

Yes, I will be able to test any such changes on a variety of displays.

-ethan