[Lcdproc] Re: HD44780 + Backlight

  • From: adrian AT fuzzee.co.uk (Adrian Hardy)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: HD44780 + Backlight
  • Date: Thu May 17 14:31:01 2007

Marcus wrote:
> Hello,

Hi - I'll just point out that I've been using LCD/LCDProc for about 48
hours, so my suggestions could be horribly incorrect...

> I have a lcd with a HD44780 controller and backlight. I am using the
> Winamp-connection for the LCD:s data, the backlight is connected to
> lpt-pin 17.
>
> How do I tell lcdproc that it is connected there? The only thing about
> backlight in the LCDd.conf and HD44780-section is if I have backlight or
> not. Not where the backlight-switch is connected.
>
> If I start lcdproc, the backlight starts twinkling on and off. If I stop
> lcdproc, the backlight is steady on.
> If I start lcdproc and connect to it with a client, the backlight
> switches off until I stop the client, then it starts twinkling again.

I have had the exact same problem with my backlight
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.lcdproc/11625) which I
may have fixed, but I'm not sure how or why it's working. If you
increase DelayMult to something like 128 - is the "twinkling" following
the same pattern, but much more slowly? If so, it sounds like you could
be suffering the same problem as I was having... For whatever reason,
using "lcdproc -f L" with virtually 0 cpu load stopped the twinkling.

My "fix" is here
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.lcdproc/11627

Once I'm positive I have found a solution I will post my LCDd.conf.

Adrian