Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Re: VLSYS L.I.S 2005 Driver written

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Re: VLSYS L.I.S 2005 Driver written
  • Date: Thu May 17 14:30:02 2007

Hi Daryl,

On Monday, 14. May 2007 06:21, Daryl F wrote:
> I obtained the latest CVS tarball and retrofitted my changes to it as
> you requested.
>
> I addressed one of the issues from paul_c and Todd Luliak, namely I
> added a test for the correct level of support in libftdi to acinclude.m4.
>
> The other issue of 'configure: error: Unknown driver lis' will already
> be handled when compiling from CVS due to the use of `sh autogen.sh` to
> run aclocal, automake, and autoconf. That also reduces the size of my
> patch greatly since I don't have to provide an update to the configure
> script, just patch acinclude.m4.
>
> If I need to make any more changes I look forward to your requests.

I committed the lis driver to CVS (with a few little aesthetical
changes ;-).

While browsing through the code a bit, I found a few issues:
- I consider set_custom_chars() a kludge.
In principle it does the same as the standard set_chars(),
but uses a different way of
Try to switch to set_char().
This will make the implementation of hbar() simpler,
and allow for a simple implementation of vbar()
as well as num() because you can use the helper functions
that use set_char().
Have a look at the IOWarrior or CFontzPacket() drivers
for examples.

- Please add the missing functions:
cellheight(), cellwidth(), get_free_chars()
You'll need them, because the support functions require them.

- Please document the requirements (required libraries)
of the lis driver and its restrictions in the docbook file
so that users know what they need to get it running and
what they can expect from it.
(Hopefully you do not need to document restrictions
due to my constant nagging ;-)))

Thanks for supporting LCDproc
Peter

--