[Lcdproc] Sneak peek of enhancements to lcdmetar.pl

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Sneak peek of enhancements to lcdmetar.pl
  • Date: Tue May 15 14:32:02 2007

Hi, all,

After getting the CVS nightly of LCDproc 0.5.2 working out of the box
on my Matrix Orbital VK204-25, I have turned my attentions back to
tweaking on lcdmetar.pl. One of the enhancements I'm really enjoying
is using the extra glyphs in the VFD font for "degrees C" and "degrees
F", symbols that are lacking on every LCD I've ever worked with.

Here's a couple of VFD screen shots of 0.5.2 w/the new lcdmetar.pl
serving up the weather conditions for the South Pole ;-)

Using a Japanese "voiced fricative" modifier glyph (turns 'h' sounds
into 'p' sounds) as a degree char - available on any VFD or LCD with a
Japanese char set...

http://www.penguincentral.com/retrocomputing/lcdproc/pix/lcdmetar-2chartemp-sm.jpg

Using special "degrees F" and "degrees C" chars from the extended VFD font...

http://www.penguincentral.com/retrocomputing/lcdproc/pix/lcdmetar-1chartemp-sm.jpg

I did finally hear back from the author of Geo::METAR. He offered to
let me take over support for it in CPAN. Naturally, I accepted. I
will, of course, be ensuring ongoing compatibility with LCDproc.

If anyone has any specific feature requests for lcdmetar.pl, now is a
good time to voice them. I haven't done much testing with smaller
displays than 4x20 since I have a 4x20 and a 4x40 on hand, but I have
been working on adding some features that are really handy with a
40-char-wide display (like extended reporting that would just scroll
too much and be too hard to read on a smaller display). My primary
goals, though, are to release a version that supports user-selectable
degree symbols, and reduced spurious error reporting (fewer "undef
warnings") when Geo::METAR doesn't return optional data because it's
missing from the original METAR.

-ethan

  • [Lcdproc] Sneak peek of enhancements to lcdmetar.pl, Ethan Dicks, 05/15/2007