[Lcdproc] HD44780 2x20 garbage

  • From: cal AT toronto4.yossman.net (cal)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 2x20 garbage
  • Date: Mon May 14 03:21:01 2007

I have an HD44780 2x20 that I have fiddled with the last couple days
trying to get working. The most I can get is garbage characters. I
compiled the latest lcd-proc-0.5.2 and set up a LCDd.conf to use the
HD44780 driver.

I've tried all connection types, but none of the others output anything.
the winamp connection type outputs garbage but I believe this is one one I
should be using because it is the 8-bit connection.

I did not wire this LCD however I believe it is the 8-bit winamp wiring
because it works great under LCDSmartie on windows, using the HD44780 dll
file, and the wiring diagram on their site shows the 8-bit wiring.

Under BIOS I have the parallel port set to ECP. On linux I am using the
ppdev module by running modprobe ppdev, which creates my /dev/parport0.

If I change the DelayMult setting in the .conf file I get different sets
of garbage output when starting LCDd.

Is winamp the right setting for a 2x20, same as a 4x20?

Is using ppdev's /dev/parpart0 okay, or should I use /dev/LPT?
(for some reason I don't have a /dev/LPT)

Here is a link to the case I ordered, which has the LCD built in and
prewired (which works under LCDSmartie):

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5257/cst-477/Eagle_Tech_Multimedia_Center_Desktop_Case_W_VFD_and_400W_Power_Supply_ET-EC2-S.html?tl=g1c10s26

Since I am at least getting garabage I must be really close.
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Here are my settings in LCDd.conf:

[server]

# Tells the server to load the given drivers. Multiple lines can be given.
# The name of the driver is exactly the same as the name of the driver
# module that is to be loaded, including the case of the letters !
# (That is: unless a file= option is given in the driver section)
Driver=hd44780

# Tells the driver to bind to the given interface
Bind=192.168.1.165

# Listen on this specified port; defaults to 13666.
Port=13666

# Sets the reporting level; defaults to 2 (warnings and errors only).
#ReportLevel=3

# Should we report to syslog instead of stderr ? Default: no
#ReportToSyslog=yes

# Sets the default time in seconds to displays a screen.
WaitTime=5

---

## Hitachi HD44780 driver ##
[hd44780]

# Port where the LPT is. Usual values are 0x278, 0x378 and 0x3BC
Port=0x378

# Device of the interface
Device=/dev/parport0

# Select what type of connection. See documentation for types.
ConnectionType=winamp

# If you have a keypad connected.
# You may also need to configure the keypad layout further on in this
file.
Keypad=no

# set the initial contrast (for bwctusb only) [default: 0; legal: 0 -
1000]
Contrast=0

# If you have a switchable backlight.
Backlight=yes

# If you have the additional output port ("bargraph") and you want to
# be able to control it with the lcdproc OUTPUT command
OutputPort=no

# Specifies if the last line is pixel addressable or it controls an
# underline effect. [default: true (= pixel addressable); legal: yes, no]
#Lastline=true

# Specifies the size of the LCD.
# In case of multiple combined displays, this should be the total size.
Size=20x2

# For multiple combined displays: how many lines does each display have.
# Vspan=2,2 means both displays have 2 lines.

#vspan=2,2

# If you have a KS0073 or an other 'almost HD44780-compatible', set this
# flag to get into extended mode (4-line linear).
# This flag is NOT the old obsolete Extended option.
#ExtendedMode=yes

# If your display is slow and cannot keep up with the flow of data from
# LCDd, garbage can appear on the LCDd. Set this delay factor to 2 or 4
# to increase the delays. Default: 1.
DelayMult=6

# You can reduce the inserted delays by setting this to false.
# On fast PCs it is possible your LCD does not respond correctly.
# Default: true.
DelayBus=true

# If you have a keypad you can assign keystrings to the keys.
# See documentation for used terms and how to wire it.
# For example to give directly connected key 4 the string "Enter", use:
# KeyDirect_4=Enter
# For matrix keys use the X and Y coordinates of the key:
# KeyMatrix_1_3=Enter
KeyMatrix_4_1=Enter
KeyMatrix_4_2=Up
KeyMatrix_4_3=Down