Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Re: VLSYS L.I.S 2005 Driver written

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [Lcdproc] Re: VLSYS L.I.S 2005 Driver written
  • Date: Sun May 13 13:24:01 2007

Hi Daryl,

On Tuesday, 8. May 2007 02:01, Daryl F wrote:
> Here's the patch for the VLSYS L.I.S driver. It is for lcdproc-0.5.1.
> The code isn't really pretty. I had to do some guessing since VLSYS
> won't reveal the inner workings. But it works.

Thanks for the patch.

I have had a quick look at it, which made me consider it as not
yet ready for inclusion into the LCDproc CVS.

Here are my reasons:
- the patch is based against 0.5.1
Please re-base it against LCDproc CVS available at
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/lcdproc-CVS-current.tar.gz
- it contains whole files (which are newer in CVS than in your version)
Please reduce the patch to the changes only.
- there are issues with it posted on the mailing list
See paul_c's and Todd Luliak's posts.
Please try to address the issues mentioned.
It is not acceptable for a patch to break compilation of LCdproc
(and pleae do not expect the maintainer [who does not have
the hardware] why).
- It lacks documentation completely
Please add doxygen documentation to the source (see the
IOWarrior or CFontzPacket drivers as an example) and
add the other missing parts (see
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-dev.html#documentation
what is expected)
Once these issues are addressed, I'll happily commit the drivr to CVS.

This may sound a bit harsh, but it is not ment that way.
It is only meant as a remnider what is expected of an
LCDproc driver: not only compile-able and working code,
but also documentation accompanying it, so that users
that obviously do not have such in-depth knowledge
about the driver internals as you, the author,
can get the driver to run easily.

Thanks
Peter

--