[Lcdproc] Has anyone compiled LCDproc for ARM?

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Has anyone compiled LCDproc for ARM?
  • Date: Fri May 11 18:42:01 2007

Hi, all,

I was musing about the suitability of a ZipIt as an all-in-one LCDproc
server _and_ client - for those that don't know what a ZipIt is, it's
a $99 palmtop 802.11b instant message appliance with a 320x200 mono
screen, running Linux. It's easy enough to reflash with a
non-dedicated kernel to use as a wireless SSH terminal, a wireless MP3
player, etc. With the standard serial-port hack to re-flash it, one
could control any external RS-232 display that LCDproc supports, or
one could just use the onboard graphic screen with a new ZipIt client
(it would probably heavily resemble either the existing SVGA client or
the existing curses client).

Since I've only ever used LCDproc with x86 processors, I wasn't sure
if anyone had ever compiled it on something embedded like an ARM.

Essentially, I'd like to have a low-cost untethered (except to wall
power) display to be able to monitor activity much further than one
can practically go with serial, parallel, or USB links between the
machine running LCDd and the display - think of a display in a
cafeteria or in a warehouse-sized work-space - plenty of people
traffic to see the device, easy to mount a small device, hard to
allocate an entire PC running Linux due to physical space limitations
and ongoing support issues. It's the same sort of issue one runs into
with webcams - inexpensive ones want to be near a "real" PC; networked
ones are quite a bit more expensive, but much easier to find suitable
mounting locations and infrastructure.

Thanks for any feedback,

-ethan