[Lcdproc] LCDd 0.5.1 eating almost alll CPU on Debian Etch

  • From: mattia.jona AT gmail.com (Mattia Jona-Lasinio)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDd 0.5.1 eating almost alll CPU on Debian Etch
  • Date: Wed Feb 28 09:24:02 2007

Hi all,

I'm the maintainer of the LCD-Linux project which is a kernel driver for the
HD44780 controller connected to the parallel port.
I experience the same problem as you report here: programs using
LCD-Linux eat a
lot of cpu time. This happened since I moved to a distribution with a
2.6 Linux
kernel. With the 2.4 kernel the cpu load was almost unreadable.
Therefore I don't think it is a matter of busy waiting loops but rather a
problem of HZ value in the kernel as Stefan suggested. Can someone try
a kernel
compiled with the old 100 Hz value? Most kernels included in distributions
are
compiled with a HZ value of 1000 to take advantage of the new 2.6 Linux
scheduler and to have a finer grained time for processes.
My tests are done on an Athlon 2800+ CPU with 1Gb of RAM. I think this
is quite
a fast machine to handle LCD stuff.

Bye,

Mattia