[Lcdproc] Insuficient configure checks

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Insuficient configure checks
  • Date: Tue Feb 27 21:31:01 2007

Hi Michal,

On Tuesday, 27. February 2007 11:57, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> I think the checks in configure are insufficient, because the configure
> run without problem and the build failed on missing libraries. These are
> the libraries I had to add in order to make it work:
>
> =E2=80=A2 Xt
> =E2=80=A2 Xext
> =E2=80=A2 Xinerama
>
> These were needed by the xosd driver. The version in question is 0.5.1.

Thanks for the hint. But I do not think that this is a problem of=20
lcdproc.

As you correctly stated, these libs are required only if the xosd driver=20
is used. I.e. they are required for libxosd. Thus they are dependencies
of libxosd, but no direct dependencies of lcdproc which can happily run=20
without those libs provided you do not use the xosd driver.

IMHO it is not sensible to track indirect dependencies (i.e.
dependencies of libs used by lcdproc).
If we did this for lcdproc we would have to go further:
libxext depends on libau, ... (ad nauseam)
=20
The tracking if recursive dependencies is best left to thos who can do it=20
best: the package managers of the distributions.

E.g. Debian does it crrectly:
* libxosd's package contains:
Depends: libc6 (>=3D 2.3.6-6), libx11-6, libxext6, libxinerama1

If you do not use libraries packages for your distribution,
you are on your own. But even here you cannot install libxosd
without the libraries mentioned.

> I know this one is only minor glitch, for most of the people have them
> installed anyway, but this was on automatic build system that gave it
> only the needed libraries.

Maybe the dependences of libxosd need to be updated ?

Regards
Peter

=2D-=20
Peter Marschall