[Lcdproc] LCDd 0.5.1 eating almost alll CPU on Debian Etch

  • From: herdler AT gmx.de (Stefan Herdler)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDd 0.5.1 eating almost alll CPU on Debian Etch
  • Date: Mon Feb 26 22:03:01 2007

Hi,
Peter Marschall wrote:
> Hi Leandro,
>
> On Saturday, 24. February 2007 15:27, Leandro Dardini wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am trying to upgrade my set-top-box from Debian-Sarge to Debian-Etch.
>> Unfortunately the LCDd 0.5.1 process on the new operating system version
>> seems to get a lots of CPU power, as you can see from the top shown
>> below. I tried also the 0.5.0 version and it has the same behavior. Any
>> idea?
>>

> Unfortunately you do not give very much information about your setup
> (hardware: computer, LCD, software: configuration...) so that it is
> very hard to give sensible advice.

I had the same problems while writing the parallel-port-part of the
serialVFD-driver.
The LCDd took about 30% with the Display connected to the parallel-port.
With the same Display connected serial the CPU-load was only 1 to 2%.
> It might be that your CPU is so slow and you send so much data to
> LCDd that it really needs this much of the CPU.

I don' think so.
In my tests the CPU-load caused by the LCDd was not CPU dependent.
The difference between a PIII 500 and a Athlon 2800 was only minimal.

> You may try to compile the latest CVS to see if the problem is fixed there.
>
> When compiling LCDproc from source you may also try to play a bit with the
> various DELAY_* defines in server/drivers/timing.h.
> Switching to a different delay type might help.

I think that is worth a try.
I'm pretty sure the delays are blocking your CPU.
The first thing to do is to reduce the delays in the LCDd.conf to the
minimum needed by your display.

You can also try to increase the HZ-value of the kernel, that might help
a bit too.
> Hope it helps
> Peter

Stefan